Jacobs is the Design and Engineering partner for Sellafield under the PPP (Programme and Project Partners). This is a 20-year arrangement to deliver ~£7bn of major projects.
We are looking to recruit high value expertise from across regulated and comparable sectors to work in a collaborative environment. PPP is delivering major projects, site wide improvements and provision of supporting services.
Jacobs provides the front end design and engineering capability across the PPP portfolio. Being part of the PPP Team offers a unique opportunity to drive change and innovation in engineering, safety and delivery solutions in one of the most complex industrial sites in the UK if not the world.
We are looking for people who are passionate about developing themselves and in meeting new challenges.
As a result of increasing demand for our services, there are significant opportunities for you, as a Senior SC&A Engineer to support a key project within the nuclear business.
This position will be ideally based out of Birchwood or Westlakes.
Joining the Civil, Structural and Architectural team on projects of varying scales and complexity where they will assist and lead in the delivery of structural designs and analysis/assessment studies in a multi-discipline environment ensuring time, cost and quality are met.
They will address and resolve functional issues within a project through use of their technical capabilities and engineering judgement, applying their skills or generating innovative solutions as appropriate.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
Your responsibilities will include:
• Technical quality and excellence of your work and the work of those working under you to ensure engineering delivery meets scope, time, cost and quality
• Project planning, delivery and financial performance of your work and that of junior staff
• Communication with clients and other design team members to provide technical input and justification
• Technical and professional guidance, support and development of more junior engineers and technicians
• Lead a team of engineers in the development and delivery of design documents and solutions
• Confidently participate at technical and non-technical meetings including progress meetings and design reviews
• Generate engineering estimates and execution strategies to provide optimal solutions
• Independent and autonomous work during the delivery of complex engineering activities
• Adherence and contribution to business and quality management systems whilst developing a good safety culture
• Chartered or near Chartered Member of an appropriate institution (ICE/IStructE)
• Degree qualified in Civil/Structural engineering or demonstrable equivalent underpinning knowledge and understanding
• Five years or more experience in a civil and structural design role having direct influence over engineering practices and outcomes
• Ability to Lead projects of varying size and complexity, managing technical aspects as well as quality, budget, programme and resources
• Good all-round technical design expertise using British and international standards, and/or Eurocodes
• Proficient use and knowledge of appropriate structural analysis programs (preferably STAAD)
• Good understanding of structural theory and strong analytical skills with proven problem solving ability
• Experience of detailed calculations and design work for reinforced concrete and structural steelwork
• Ability to work effectively as a team member liaising directly with clients and other design team members
• Awareness of applicable codes and safety legislation and how they should be applied
• Excellent verbal and written communication, and report writing skills
• Ability to achieve P4 pass holder status and a minimum of SC clearance is essential
Desirable Skills & Experience:
• Nuclear industry experience
• Experience of working at or for Sellafield Ltd would be a distinct advantage
• Experience of design to Eurocodes
• Experience in design with masonry would be advantageous
• Experience of structural dynamics, including designing for seismic, blast and impact load effects
• Knowledge and use of BIM packages
• Understanding of emerging technology so that technical input to projects takes account of new developments
• Additional IT skills would be a distinct advantage
• Chartered civil and/or structural membership