At Jacobs, we're challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world's most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of approximately 52,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.
Visit jacobs.com and connect with Jacobs on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow, and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
Key Responsibilities include:
Responsible to the Head of Operations, the Works Manager will be a strong leader who can plan, direct, and coordinate his operational area of responsibility, ensuring that operations run smoothly and according to framework policy. The manager will ensure that sub-contractors and suppliers are properly managed and continue to meet the needs of the business in accordance with the business plan. The qualities of a successful Works Manager include vision, creativity, commitment, and leadership and can see and interpret the ‘big picture’ in order to make effective management decisions.
Works manager must be able to oversee and get involved as required with all aspects of the business areas they are responsible for. This is a hands-on role.
Will work with other operational managers, PMs & function managers within OneAIM JV to ensure all aspects of projects are coordinated to ensure maximum productivity and commercial success. Also working with other managers to problem solve, sharing of information to promote continuous development of personnel and systems within the framework.
Works duties of the Works Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure enquiries and prepared estimates are thoroughly reviewed for business compatibility and correctness in accordance with appropriate enquiry control. On occasion you may be required to prepare estimates in accordance with your area(s) of expertise, or be appointed as enquiry owner;
- Manage the appointed PMs or Sub PMs & supervisory staff at all stages of the project in accordance with the project execution plan
- Monitor and review project progress and budgets against tendered programs, resolve any issues, ensure variations and dayworks are submitted and agreed with the client and report regularly to the Head of Operations / Commercial Manager
- Manage the control of procurement/ hire/ supply of plant and equipment in accordance with the procurement procedure; ensure budgets are met and costs saving initiatives are implemented where possible.
- Ensure all jobs are correctly planned utilising programs, trackers and that all business areas / personnel involved with the contract are correctly briefed and uploaded / updated on CEMAR.
- Ensure that all work is correctly inspected in accordance with issued site instructions and accepted nuclear industry practice.
- Ensure that all subordinate staff are briefed and observe the requirements of relevant HS&E Regulations, Approved Codes of Practice and best industry practices and adhere to the OneAIM JV Health and Safety Management systems
- Ensure that risk assessments have been undertaken and the control measures are conveyed to all parties involved with the work. They will give precise working instructions, details of responsibilities and safe methods of working, to those within their control and ensure that they do not take unnecessary risks.
- Organise the workshop / site so that work is carried out to the appropriate standard with minimum risk to men, equipment, and materials
- Liaise with client and other contractors to establish a reliable interface for the sharing of information in respect of the client’s site rules and the work to be carried out by OneAIM JV.
- Implement arrangements with OneAIM JV sub-contractors and other contractors on site and establish areas of responsibility.
- Check that the systems to ensure all work equipment, machinery, and plant, including power and hand tools are maintained in good order and those statutory records of inspections are kept.
- Make sure that collective and personal protection measures (including dosimetry) are considered and implemented as identified from the risk assessment process, records of issue are kept and that it is used as appropriate.
- Ensure that the arrangements for first aid have been made and that they are known to employees. To ensure that proper care is taken of casualties and to know where to obtain medical help and ambulance service in the event of serious injury.
- Report all accidents and near miss incidents in line with OneAIM JV and client’s procedures.
- Ensure that all employees, including sub-contractors have received a client and a OneAIM JV induction as required.
- Investigate accidents/incidents to determine the root cause and implement corrective action to prevent reoccurrence where empowered to do so.
- Co-operate with the SHE Manager and act on his recommendations.
- Develop new business by nurturing existing clients and demonstrate innovation about new clients and products.
Specific duties of the Works Manager (not exhaustive):
- Perform any other duties within your capability as directed by the Head of Operations or Framework Director
- The Works management of staff in accordance with framework procedures and values, with an emphasis on retention and personnel development including his/ her own.
- Working as part of the OneAIM JV management infrastructure ensuring that SH&E, Quality, Commercial and HR (M) / HR (D) issues are satisfactorily addressed and will make a personal contribution to continuous improvement.
- Promote customer satisfaction and provide team leadership with a strong focus upon a qualitative product.
- Demonstrate astute commercial awareness and business management performance.
- The preparation, in a timely manner, of essential business information and reports appertaining to the business operations of the workshop / site.
- Contribute to the development and continuous improvement of relevant framework management systems and ensure that they are adhered to.
- Any other work to support the business growth according to your skills and expertise
- Managing changing priorities with the client to ensure maximum utilisation of staff
- Manage conflict between stakeholders due to perceived priorities
- Managing and maintaining a relationship with the Trade Unions
- Be part of the overall contract management team
- Be comfortable being part of a Joint Venture where your line management may not be part of your company management and managing staff from different organisations to meet the JV objectives.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
- Degree (or equivalent experience) in appropriate discipline for the post
- HS&E management qualification (NEBOSH / IOSH or equivalent
- Management Qualification (CiPD, ILM etc) or appropriate experience
- Project Management qualification or appropriate experience
- Appropriate additional qualifications required by the specific role
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of five years’ experience working in an engineering / construction management role
- High level of computer literacy
- Good team working and communication skills
- A working knowledge of the engineering construction industry is preferred but not essential
- Ability to train and develop all levels of staff
Hardworking And Dedicated