You’re being taken to an external site to apply.Enter your email below to receive job recommendations for similar positions.
Principal Engineer, Electrical - Technology
Are you passionate about being at the forefront of emerging technologies in maritime and offshore industries? ABS is a leading Classification Society driven by its mission of promoting the security of life and property and preserving the natural environment. In fulfilling this mission, ABS leads research and develops guidance and requirements focused on the safety of implementing new technology in the marine and offshore environment.
As an Electrical Engineer with ABS you will be actively engaged in driving industry-leading research and development associated with the electrification and hybridization of the marine and offshore industries.
What You Will Do:
- Lead research and assessing the maturity of new technologies on the application of emerging technologies such as fuel cells, super capacitors, flywheels, offshore charging stations, offshore substations and offshore wind.
- Develop guidance and classification requirements for the marine and offshore industry on the application of new technology.
- Support ABS technical community on queries regarding electrical systems.
- Maintain and demonstrate thought leadership through technical publications and presentations.
- Participate in industrial societies to development and enhance technical capabilities.
What You Will Need:
Education and Experience
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or other related discipline; M.S. is preferred
- Minimum of eight (8) years relevant engineering experience in a shipyard, design/consulting office, shipping/oil company, university, or classification society.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of AC and DC power generation (such as fuel cells and dual-fuel engine-generator sets) and power distribution systems.
- Knowledge of power system analysis such as short circuit calculation, protection coordination studies, power flow, harmonics analysis and arc flash analysis.
- Knowledge of existing and emerging technologies for energy storage such as batteries, supercapacitors and flywheels.
- Knowledge of design, installation, and testing of electrical equipment such as electric motors, variable frequency drives, transformers, switchgear and generator controls.
- Knowledge of dynamic positioning systems and their electrical and control requirements.
- Strong communicator with excellent oral and written communication skills. Excellent command of the English language.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others.
This role reports to a manager or director and has no direct reports.
This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
#dice, #LIhybridWe set out more than 160 years ago to promote the security of life and property at sea and preserve the natural environment. Today, we remain true to our mission and continue to support organizations facing a rapidly evolving seascape of challenging regulations and new technologies. Through it all, we are anchored by a vision and mission that help our clients find clarity in uncertain times. ABS is a global leader in marine and offshore classification and other innovative safety, quality, and environmental services. We’re at the forefront of supporting the global energy transition at sea, the application of remote and autonomous marine systems, cutting-edge technical solutions, and many more exciting advancements. Our commitment to safety, reliability, and efficiency is ever-present, guiding our clients to safer and more efficient operations. About Our Benefits ABS Bureau proudly offers a variety of industry-leading benefits designed to enhance the life and well-being of our employees and their families. These benefits include, but are not limited to, medical insurance (PPO and HD), dental and vision insurance, Health Savings Account (HSA), Flexible Savings Account (FSA), life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, disability leave programs, parental leave program, paid holidays, and paid vacation time. The Company provides an Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) that offers support in personal wellness, including work-life services. ABS Bureau also offers a 401K plan with a generous company match, subject to plan requirements. Equal Opportunity ABS Bureau is committed to the equal employment opportunity of its employees and prohibits discrimination against any employee or qualified applicant based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status, or other non-work-related characteristics that may be protected under the law of the Federal Government or specific state employment laws. Notice ABS and Affiliated Companies (ABS) will not pay a fee to any third-party agency without a valid ABS Master Service Agreement (MSA) authorized and signed by Human Resources. Any resume, CV, application, or other forms of candidate submission provided to any employee of ABS without a valid MSA on file will be considered property of ABS, and no fee will be paid. Other This job description is not intended, and should not be construed, to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job of the incumbent. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the principal job elements essential for making a fair decision regarding the pay structure of the job. #ogjsThis is an opportunity to be at the forefront of emerging technologies in the maritime and offshore industries. As an Electrical Engineer you will be actively engaged in driving industry-leading research and development associated with the electrification and hybridization of the marine and offshore industries.
- Electric Arc
- Electric Motors
- Electrical Engineering
Job ID: 228